Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween

Our Halloween festivities actually started last Sunday. We went to a party at a local church with a bunch of friends. My friend, Amber, took the first two pictures of my kids.

I love the look on Jenna's face here. She's saying "don't even think of laying a finger on my lollipop!" The kid definitely has a sweet tooth! How cute is she in her little bumblebee costume?! I scored it at a consignment sale for $5 plus $1 for the leotard underneath.



Ian had a great time playing all of the little games. Here he's bowling with a small pumpkin. He had quite the arm as he whipped the pumpkin down the lane. I like his form too - made even more impressive by the pumpkin container hanging from his arm. You can see the impressed look on my face in the background.



The kids were completely grossed out by the pumpkin carving episode this year. Well... at least Ian was and it rubbed off on Jenna. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get them to stick their hands inside the pumpkin and pull out the guts.


Once the pumpkin was de-gutted we were able to at least get them to look inside of it.


Ian drew the face for the pumpkin and Trevor did the carving.


On Friday his elementary school had a costume parade. Ian was so very happy to see his mommy and sister. I could see the look of pride on his face - he was just beaming. I know that won't last for very long. There will come a time when he'll be embarrassed to see me in school. I really need to get in there more often so that I can enjoy this time while it lasts.

He decided to wear last year's costume (Optimus Prime) for the parade because it was easier to put on by himself. They weren't allowed to wear masks, probably because they don't want them to trip and fall.

One thing that really stood out to me was how much bigger he looked this year in 1st grade compared to the kindergartners in the parade. It's hard to see on a daily basis how much he grows, but when you compare it that way you can see that he's grown quite a bit. I'm sure that by the time he's in 5th grade he'll look like a giant compared to those kindergartners! When he's in 5th grade Jenna will be in 1st! Wow!


Fast forward to Halloween day (yesterday). When Ian got up from his nap he came into the bedroom where I was talking on the phone with my dad. With pursed lips Ian said "I have something to show you." I was getting irritated with him for interrupting my conversation, but he said it a few more times. When he finally smiled I gasped when I realized he had lost one of his top teeth. Apparently, when he was "napping" he was actually goofing around on his bed and he hit his face against the wall. One of the two teeth that's been loose for the last month got even looser and was dangling. He went into the bathroom and yanked it the rest of the way out and then rinsed his mouth out with water and went back to his "nap". (I don't think he slept at all that afternoon.) I think there's still some blood on the bathroom sink that I didn't discover until late last night.

What's funny is that this is one of the two teeth that he chipped on his 2nd Halloween when he was 18 months old and dressed as a penguin. He bit into a lollipop and KABLAM-O his two front teeth were chipped. I was devastated at the time. His perfect little smile was ruined. I've been looking forward to those 2 teeth coming out ever since. And then the first one falls out on Halloween years later!


Last night, after going to Pizza Hut so that the kids could get their free personal pan pizza because they were in their costumes, we went trick or treating. I don't think Ian is trying to stab Jenna - just trying to showcase his light-up wand.


We gave out gummy body parts to the trick-or-treaters that came to our door. Here Jenna is showcasing the gummy brain. There were also severed fingers and feet, teeth etc...





Checking out the loot. (The candy that Ian is looking at is the candy that we gave out.) Even though there were a lot of people in our neighborhood that didn't answer their door, those that did gave the kids a TON of candy. One couple gave them huge bags filled with a random assortment of treats.

Now that we have 2 kids that eat candy the rule is that all of the candy goes into a communal bowl for everyone to share. Lucky for them my taste is still messed up and chocolate tastes horrible otherwise all of those Reese's peanut butter cups and Snickers would be gone! I did allow them to gorge themselves on candy for about 1/2 an hour last night. When time was up they could sort it and check it out, which seemed to entertain them. But, now the big-bowl-o'-candy is on top of the refrigerator to be dolled out as special treats.

No comments: