Thursday, October 8, 2009

2 Weeks Today

Wow! It's kind of hard to believe that 2 weeks ago today I was getting ready to go under the knife. It's been a LONG 2 weeks!

I am continuing to improve daily. The thing that's most frustrating to me right now is this stupid jaw! Now that I can eat most foods without too much discomfort my jaw still won't open as wide as I need it to in order to eat properly. Although there has been some improvement from a couple of days ago.

Last night we had a babysitter come over so that we could drop stuff off at a kids consignment sale that's happening this weekend. Afterwards we decided to go out for ice cream. (I'm thrilled that I can eat ice cream again! ) As I was eating I realized just how necessary your jaw is when you eat. I have zero flexibility in it right now so anytime I had to move my jaw forward or a little to the side I could really feel it. It's these little things that you take for granted in your everyday life and until you don't have the use of it you don't realize exactly how functional it is.

Other than the jaw issues I still have a couple of sore spots in the back of my throat. I'm sure those will clear up in the next few days. At least I hope they will.

Yesterday I realized what it's like to be a germ-a-phoebe. We have a few friends that have the swine flu running its course through their households. Yesterday was one of the few times that I was out and about in the general public in the past 2 weeks. Knowing full well that swine flu is on the loose here in Maryland I found myself extremely paranoid about catching the nasty bug. In normal situations I would just say "well, if I get it I get it" and carry on with my daily life. But, after coming off a 2 week recovery time with this tonsillectomy the last thing I want to do is to be laid up again with the flu. So, when we were in Target I found myself covering my hands with my sleeves, avoiding people in the aisles that were talking about the flu and wishing that I had a face mask. The experience made me thankful that I'm not a germ-a-phoebe on a regular basis.

1 comment:

abuian said...

Kinda makes you feel bad for Mary Matalin.