Thursday, January 22, 2009

From 2 Naps to 1

I'm facing the inevitable. Jenna is 18 months old and she is just about ready to drop her morning nap. The thing is - I feel like I'm hanging on to it for dear life. I know that once it's gone I'll never get that break in the morning again.

I'm guessing that in a few weeks I'll just need to bite the bullet and drop that AM nap. She actually usually takes a really good morning nap. This morning she slept for 2-1/2 hours. But, that means she didn't get up until 12:45pm and that just seems to throw the rest of the day off. She wasn't ready for a nap again until 3:15 and honestly she probably would've been just fine staying up longer, I just don't want her sleeping any later in the day because then bedtime would be off.

Switching to one nap is never a joy ride. Ian was ready around 18 months as well. I remember the difficulties in keeping him up until 12:30 or 1:00. For the first few weeks he was cranky around lunch time. Eventually it all evened out and he took tremendous afternoon naps.

For the next few weeks I'm going to try to savor the last of the AM naps. When Trevor's working from home I can usually run out to the grocery store or get other miscellaneous errands done. When he's not I can veg or clean or putter on the computer.

My baby is growing up and there's nothing I can do to stop it! (Not that I would want to anyway.)

1 comment:

abuian said...

On the up side, not needing a morning nap will make church a lot easier logistically.