Thursday, November 13, 2008

Beef on Weck

Did you know that Buffalo has 2 distinct dishes? Everyone knows about Buffalo wings (even though it's hard to find them done "right"). But, did you know that the less popular, but equally yummy Beef on Weck comes from Buffalo as well? Oh, you've never heard of it? Well, you lead a very sad life indeed!

Of course, growing up I had no idea that it was a local thing. We had it at church dinners, family gatherings etc... I don't think I've ever actually eaten one in a restaurant. Although someday I would like to try one at Schwabl's - the supposed birthplace of the sandwich. Alas, now that I can't get it I find that I crave it.

The biggest obstacle to having an authentic Beef on Weck is finding the kimmelweck roll (a kaiser roll topped with salt and carraway seeds). Sure I could make my own, but I just don't have that much ambition. Well, our problem has been solved (sort of). You see, when Wegmans came to Maryland they brought the kimmelweck roll with them! The nearest Wegmans is 40 minutes away so it's not like we make special trips up there to get weck rolls. Today, however, is a special day. Today I am going to Wegmans - I'm heading up that way for something else so I figured I may as well stop (I also need to get their store brand pitas, green apple soda and cheese curds - things I can only get there). We already have some beef au jus from Market Day (which is absolutely fabulous by the way) and horseradish so our sandwiches will be complete.

I'm looking forward to having a little bit of Buffalo in our home tonight. It's always nice to remember where you came from and experience a little nostalgia. Plus, it's Trevor's last carnivorous meal before the Nativity Fast - so it will be nice for him to enjoy something he absolutely loves.

No comments: