Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

After much waiting and anticipation Ian headed off for his first day of school this morning. For the last several months we've been telling Ian that he will be going to school in the Fall. I've also been telling him that he can't wear his coveted airplane PJ's because they're for the Fall (they have long sleeves). So last night on cue he said "I can wear my airplane pajamas now - it's Fall - school starts tomorrow!"

On our way to school he asked me "why aren't the leaves falling off the trees? You told me that school started in the Fall, so the leaves should be falling off the trees." So I explained how the leaves are starting to change color and then they will fall off eventually. Then he asked "how do the leaves get back on the trees." Oh, boy. This kid is so ready for school. I tried to explain as best as I could, but I know the teachers will be able to explain it all much better.

Here's Ian this morning after getting dressed. Notice the bright green backpack and shoes. His favorite color now is green. He picked out both.


Here he is in front of the school. I have to drive him for the first few weeks until we move. Today instead of just dropping him off at the carpool lane I wanted to take him into his class. He was ready to say goodbye as soon as we pulled into the parking lot. I kept telling him that I was going to take him to his class, but he was anxious to be rid of me. :(



And here he is in his class. He was lucky enough to be assigned to the green table. After getting him situated at his table I moved to the back of the room to watch him for a couple of minutes. He was feverishly coloring, looking a little anxious, but oh so thrilled to be a big boy in school.

I feel strange not having him here. I told Trevor it's like there's a piece of me missing. Granted it's much easier to just take care of Jenna and the house is a lot quieter, but he's been my sidekick for the last 5 years and I'm feeling sadder then I expected I would.

1 comment:

Myrna Gold said...

Hey Julie -- I feel like that every first day of school -- Nick was my constant companion for so long and I always feel reunited with him when summer starts. You're a great mom and you'll enjoy seeing Ian's world get a little bigger and different everyday. Love, Myrna