Friday, August 22, 2008

End of Summer

Summer is fading fast. On Monday Ian starts kindergarten. He's incredibly excited. This afternoon we're going to an open house at the school to meet his teacher, classmates and find out what it will be like to go to school. When I told him about the open house yesterday he was quiet for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden he started crying. When I asked him why he was crying he said "I want to go to school now!!!!" (As I type this he's asking me for the millionth time what time we're going to the open house.)

The kid has no idea what he's in for. Monday is the first day of the rest of his life. Last night we went to the park to have a picnic and I said something to Trevor about how there's only a few days of summer left for Ian. Trevor said Ian's summer has lasted 5-1/2 years. Yup, that pretty much sums it up. Now the real work begins. I hope his bliss over school lasts at least one year and hopefully he'll continue to love school for years to come. In the meantime I plan on keeping up the illusion that school is fun and games for as long as possible.

No comments: