Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sick and Tired...

On Sunday night Trevor came down with a nasty stomach bug. He pooped and puked his guts out all night. As with any stomach ailment the first thing I always hope for is food poisoning. That would mean that it can't be spread around to the other family members.

We actually went almost 2 whole days before Ian came down with it at 4pm Tuesday night. My immediate reaction, after being grossed out with all of the puke on the bedroom floor, was - great... it's not food poisoning! Then the first emotion to set in was panic. You see I was in the middle of changing Jenna's diaper when the explosion occurred. So, there lies Jenna with no diaper on and Ian is freaking out because he had an unknown substance hurl from his mouth and now it's all over his hands and feet and legs. We've been pretty fortunate. Ian hasn't gotten much in the way of stomach bugs in his 5 short years. I think he's barfed 2 other times in his life and both were when he was 2 or 3 and he only tossed his cookies one time per illness. So, I guess the memory was pretty faded because he just kept asking me "What is this? Get it off me!!!" So I did what any sane mother would do I left Jenna on the changing table (with no diaper on), ran to the tub to get the water going and stripped Ian out of the offensive clothing and got him in the bathtub. Then I realized I had left Jenna on the changing table with no diaper on. So I rushed back to get her. Once I got her confined in her saucer I assumed I now had time to clean up the puke and help Ian out. Jenna decided the chaos was too much for her so she started screaming and crying at the top of her lungs. This is the point that I decided to pray that she wouldn't be emotionally damaged from being neglected in her saucer and go about the urgent business of cleaning up the mess. After I got the mess cleaned up I rescued her. She continued to scream because clearly she doesn't do well with chaos. Then it was time for Ian to get out of the tub so I figured I may as well put her back in her saucer screaming so I could get him dried off and situated. So, now I've got Ian crying because he still feels sick and is developing the shakes from the fever and Jenna screaming - just because. I finally got Ian situated on the couch with a bucket and the instructions "if you're going to spew - spew here" then it took me a good 10 minutes to get Jenna settled down.

By the time Trevor got home 20 minutes later everyone was settled down. We spent the rest of the evening comforting Ian. Around 9pm I realized I was getting the first symptoms and by 10pm I was spending a good deal of time in the bathroom. I was in the bathroom on and off for the rest of the night. By 4am I was finally done. What a miserable night!

As all of this was going on I realized that if we're all going to get the stomach bug the timing couldn't have been better. Trevor got it first and was able to fully recover before Ian got it. Ian was over the worst of it before I got it. Trevor was able to stay home while I was recovering to take care of the kids. I'm still praying that Jenna won't get it. I'm hoping the antibodies in my breastmilk will protect her from it.

3 comments:

abuian said...

Nice use of the synonyms! BTW, I kinda liked your last template (the last one I saw anyway, with the tree).

Julie said...

Why are there so many ways to describe puke anyway?

I liked the last template too, but it was just too busy for me. Plus I couldn't quite get the right color font so it would be easy to read. I like a really basic template without much going on in the background.

Laura said...

I like this template...but then green is my favorite color.

Some variant of this same bug went through our family a few months ago. For one week, one of us was either puking, or recovering from puking. It is no fun when you have little ones. David made it to the bathroom, but he made it *all over* the bathroom, if you catch my meaning.

I'm glad you're all feeling better, and prayers for little Jenna to stay well are speeding your way!