Saturday, March 1, 2008

New Year's Resolution - Check

Yesterday I went to the doctor and completed my New Year's resolution. I feel an amazing sense of accomplishment. I've never kept my New Year's resolutions before. I've never made manageable resolutions before. If you set the bar low you're bound to succeed!

Anyway... if you don't feel like re-reading that post my resolution was to get set up with a general doctor so that I could get the funky thing on the palm of my hand checked out. I figure it's also a good idea to have a general doctor for the one time every two years that I need one. Like the time I had the stomach bug so bad I was seeing spots because I was so completely dehydrated. I ended up going to an urgent care facility where they hooked me up to an IV and pumped me full of fluids. The urgent care place ended up costing $50 with a really long wait. I would've been better off going to a general doctor and paying only $15. Or just this past summer when I was having problems with my gall bladder. That time I ended up going back to my midwife, but every time the people in the ER asked me who my general doctor was - I embarrassingly said I didn't have one. We've lived here for almost 12 years now. For the past 12 years I've been saying "I really need to get myself a general doctor." Now that I've got one there's a halfway decent chance that we'll be moving back to Buffalo. Will it be another 12 years before I get set up with a doctor there?

So, the result of my doctor's visit yesterday is that apparently I'm a freak show! Both the nurse and the doctor said that they had never seen anything quite like the funky vein thing in my hand. After inspecting it though the doctor said that there's nothing life threatening to worry about. Almost everyone that I showed it to thought maybe it was a blood clot. And the fear was that if it got dislodged maybe it would kill me. Well, it's nothing like that. I don't remember exactly what he said he thought it was, but basically it's something that he thinks I can have removed simply because it's causing me discomfort. Sometimes it hurts to the touch and sometimes if my hand is clamped while I'm sleeping it starts throbbing. He gave me a referral to a hand specialist and he thinks outpatient surgery will do the trick. I don't think I'm going to have anything done with it until we figure out what's going on with Trevor's job situation. I don't want to start something here that I'll have to finish in Buffalo. Plus, since there's no rush. I'm thinking hand surgery is generally a bad idea right before a big move. Although it would get me out of packing!

So, there you have it. What have I learned from this? A) Set manageable New Year's resolutions so that you can have a sense of accomplishment when you can finally cross them off your list and B) don't wait 12 years to get set up with a general doctor.

PS - Thanks to Amber for the great recommendation! Dr K is great and it seems like the whole office has a great sense of humor. (Maybe it's just because it was a Friday!)

No comments: