Friday, January 18, 2008

Physical

This job of being a mom of young children is so physical! Some days are worse than others. Yesterday was one of those days. By the time I got Jenna to bed I just wanted to collapse. But, I couldn't because Ian was still up demanding my time and attention. It seemed like as soon as I got one settled the other one wanted me - back and forth, back and forth... I can't imagine how moms with 8 kids do it!!! Thankfully Ian is at the age where I can usually redirect his attention. But, he really seems to be at a point where he wants to snuggle all the time. Maybe it's because he doesn't have all of my attention anymore. He has to share me with Jenna. He's pretty good about not asking to snuggle if Jenna needs me. As soon as I put her down it's another story. The first thing I usually hear out of his mouth is "I want to snuggle!" I keep telling myself this won't last much longer with him. He'll go to school and in a year or two he won't want me touching him at all.

Over the last week or so I've been falling asleep in the recliner almost immediately after we get Ian down and Trevor and I do our devotions. So, that means I'm sleeping around 8:15. Around 10pm I drag myself to bed because that's when I hear Trevor getting ready for bed. I must be part bear. I need to hibernate in the winter! Well, that and Jenna seems to be waking up at night lately. She'll start making noise around 3am and if I don't rush right to her she'll usually go back to sleep. But, that still means I'm laying there listening to her and waiting for her to get quiet again. What I wouldn't give to get a full night's sleep with no interruptions!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Well....in my experience (but I think you're a little younger than I am) by the time the kids actually made it through the night (most nights) without needing me, then *I* was at the age when I couldn't make it through the night without a potty trip.

Hopefully there'll be a bit of an interval of nights full of sleep in there for *you*!

abuian said...

I like this illustration--not sure how an elderly monk thought to use little kids to make his point, but it's a great image nonetheless.