Sunday, January 24, 2010

Poor Little Guy

Yesterday we were excited to be able to go on a double date with some good friends. We had plans to go to our new favorite Greek restaurant, Samos, in Baltimore and afterward head over to Lexington Market. We had a lovely dinner and had just received the check when the babysitter called. Her voice was frantic as she said "We have a problem! Ian is throwing up!" I, of course, told her that we would be home shortly.

I immediately started wracking my brain because this seemingly came out of nowhere. Yesterday morning he went to his Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby and took 3rd place for the entire pack (out of something like 30 kids). He was full of energy and excitement all morning. As I was trying to pinpoint where this may have come from I realized that part of what I was doing was hoping that it wasn't a virus that the rest of us would inevitably catch, but that it was some isolated incident. Maybe he was over-excited in the morning and when he finally settled down to watch TV his body reacted and he had to throw up. This was quickly ruled out. After we were home for maybe an hour he threw up again and again and again. Maybe it's a side effect of the H1N1 flu mist that he received on Friday. I still haven't ruled this one out. Maybe, just maybe the rest of us won't get sick! Or, maybe he picked it up when he was at school or the doctor's office or any other number of places. In any case the poor little guy was sicker than sick last night and my heart broke for him as there was nothing that I could do to alleviate his suffering.

By 6:30pm he was completely wiped out! He vomited half a dozen times and the illness wore him down. Which leads us to this unprecedented picture of Ian asleep on the couch. He has NEVER fallen asleep on the couch. I'm guessing that's because he's usually in bed by 8pm every night so he doesn't get a chance. Trevor then carried him up to bed.


I really hope he's feeling better this morning and that he was able to get enough rest last night. I'll be staying home from church with him this morning so that he can continue to rest up.

1 comment:

Russell Nemec said...

Poor guy. Hope he feels better soon!