Friday, October 2, 2009

Days 7-9

One word for days 7 & 8 - P.A.I.N. Ok, maybe two words - IMMENSE P.A.I.N. If I thought I knew what pain was before day 7 I had another thing coming. Day 7 is when the scabs started to fall off. I had heard that this is when the severe pain kicked in, but I had no idea. Trevor had to call the doctor to see if I could take more of my pain meds because they were only lasting an hour and a half instead of the usual 3 hours.

That's all I'm gonna say about that! I don't even think there's a dancing leprechaun metaphor out there to describe the "scab slowly pulling itself away from your throat" pain. There's a good reason that I didn't blog the last couple of days.

So, then there's last night. I woke up around 1:00am feeling nauseous and I had an incredibly bad taste in my mouth. Not a good sign. I took some of the liquid anti-nausea medicine and after a few minutes it felt like it was kicking in. So, then I decided to take my pain killers. Before the liquid got half way to my stomach I vomited. Not once, not twice, but several times. Oh... the pain!!! The agony! I felt completely and utterly defeated. It took me awhile to pull myself together. As I was debating about what I was going to do about the pain meds (take Tylenol instead or try to eat something and take the usual stuff again) I realized the pain was actually going away. It turned out that in the process of vomiting I loosened up the vast majority of the scabs and all but a tiny bit were now gone! I didn't end up taking any pain meds and slept until 5am! I definitely needed pain meds at that point but, I went back to sleep until 7am. At that point I took a drink and realized for the first time since the surgery I was able to drink more than a tiny sip at a time. I drank and drank and drank with very little pain! Hallelujah!! For the first time I could finally see an end in sight.

I had my post op appointment with my doctor scheduled for this morning at 8:30am. The doctor took a look at my throat and said that there was just a little bit of scab left. He suctioned it out with a tiny vacuum (which didn't hurt at all). After lots of questions and discussion he proclaimed that as long as I don't have any bleeding (which he doesn't foresee happening) I should be feeling a lot better by Sunday. Granted I won't be 100% for a couple of weeks yet, but the wounds should heal nicely over the next couple of days making me feel like a new person.

I plan on laying low the next couple of days. Even though I'm feeling so much better I don't want to push it and then suffer a set back. Trevor has training next week from Tuesday through Friday and I would really like to be better by then. My parents left this morning and we have friends lined up to be on call while Trevor's not here, but I would very much like to resume a certain amount of normalcy by Tuesday. I'm ready for "normal" as are my husband and kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an ordeal. At least the vomiting loosened things up! Glad you're feeling better.