The last 2 days have really been a roller coaster on the ride to recovery. The doctor said there would be days like this and he wasn't joking!
For awhile there I was feeling pretty good. The pain killers were doing their job and I didn't actually have to take them as often. I think at one point I went almost 6 hours in between doses instead of 3 hours.
Last night was when things really started going downhill. Trevor mentioned that they were going to get KFC for dinner. My stomach had been rumbling for the past couple of days. I thought I might be able to get some chicken down along with a bit of mac-n-cheese. Well, once I started thinking about that I kept getting hungrier and hungrier. My dad went over to get the food and they said that they didn't take the coupon that he had so he had to come back home to get the other coupons. At one point I HAD to eat something or I felt like I was going to pass out so I asked Trevor to bring me up what I thought might be soft chocolate chip cookies and milk. Thankfully, the milk gave me the calories that I needed because the cookie wasn't as soft as I was hoping for. At that point, I started to turn into an emotional ball of mush. When Trevor finally brought up the KFC I was such a wreck that I completely broke down crying. I thought vomiting was bad after a tonsillectomy - I'm thinking sobbing like a baby is actually worse. You know that lump you get in the back of your throat before you cry, while you cry and when you're trying not to cry? Well, it's most definitely real, not just figurative. On top of that when you cry you get a bunch of mucus build up in your nose and throat on top of the phlegm created by the milk. Getting all of that out isn't any fun!
I think that started the downward spiral into the 2nd stage of my recovery. Stage 2 is when you experience moderate to severe pain because the scabs start to fall off. If I thought this recovery was painful before I had another thing coming! This is a whole new level of pain. It's intense and constant. It radiates through my ears. I can no longer eat or drink very cold things. If I do (and I have) it feels like a band of leprechauns is doing the jig in my throat with fire coming out of their boots. And don't get me started on the jello that I tried to eat at 1am so that I could take my pain killers without getting nauseous! It felt like I was swallowing glass. I am now counting down the minutes until I can take my pain killers every 3 hours. (I just took them 35 minutes ago otherwise I wouldn't be able to type this.)
Your prayers are most definitely needed over the next couple of days while these scabs fall off. Prayers that I will be able to retain my sanity in the midst of the pain and isolation. Prayers that I won't tear my dear husband's head off. Prayers that the scabs will fall off quickly so that I can just get this over with!!!!
3 comments:
Love you, Julie. Hang in there!
Sorry you're in so much pain, but I love the "band of leprechauns" image!
Lord have mercy! You are definitely in my prayers!!
Post a Comment