- Never ask for the check at a restaurant. We ate lunch at a burger joint with outdoor seating when we visited the Fort Worth Stockyards. The waiter was incredibly friendly. He chit chatted with us at various times and volunteered to take a group picture. After we had been sitting there for awhile and he was winding up his chit chat he asked us if we needed anything else. I politely said "no, but we'll take the check when you get a chance." It was like I sucker punched him. He took a step back and said in all sincerity "whoa... no one has ever actually asked me to bring the check." I guess Texans have all the time in the world and are never in a hurry to get the check. Here in Maryland, it's a very common request. I can't remember the last time I went out to eat that I didn't ask for it.
- It's perfectly OK (and expected) to drive down the shoulder of the road at 55mph to allow someone to pass you on the left on a 2 lane road. This took me totally by surprise when Kim and I were heading home from the grocery store. All of a sudden she pulled onto the shoulder maintaining her speed of 55 while the truck passed. When I asked her what in the world she was doing she said that people expect you to do that. Sure enough, once I started paying attention I saw pretty much everyone doing the same exact thing.
- When you go to the grocery store don't let it surprise you when you see a Tactical Weapons magazine at the checkout. We thought about getting it for Trevor as a joke, but the thin publication was $8. That's one pricey joke.
- You also should not be surprised when the bagger at the grocery store not only loads up your cart with your groceries, but also pushes the cart to your car and loads it for you. No tip expected. This was an awfully nice perk that I've never experienced before in the North and probably never will. She was super friendly to boot and chit chatted all the way to the car. The customer service in Texas is phenomenal. It made it very hard to come back to Maryland where most clerks treat you like a nuisance.
- Everyone needs a walkin' beer. This is what we heard all throughout our dinner at the Fort Worth Stockyards. A girl was selling cold "walkin' beer" to those who were passing by. I don't think you can even carry an open container of alcohol outside a restaurant here in Maryland, let alone go in and out of stores with a bottle of beer.
- When you take your niece to the orthodontist don't be at all surprised to see a large "no handgun" sign on the door. I'm not even kidding. The thing is I got the sense it was there for those who innocently carry a handgun with them wherever they go, not for the criminals. We also saw similar signs at various restaurants.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Things I Learned In Texas
Going to Texas is like going to a different country - at least if you're comparing it to Maryland. While I was there I compiled a list of the things that made my jaw drop and/or LOL.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I grew up mostly in a small southern town...you just made me miss it!
Post a Comment