Monday, November 3, 2008

Jenna's Walking and Ian Ate a Grape

Big news from the Peterson household! Jenna is officially walking. Over the past couple of weeks she's been taking a few steps here and there, but I would say that today she did some serious walking. Sure, she still flops down on her bum now and then, but overall she's getting her balance and forging ahead. I did record some of her early steps on the camcorder. Unfortunately, it's an old school recorder and not digital so I cannot share the video here.

In other news - Ian ate a grape today! Big whoop you say? Well... Ian has not eaten a grape since a tragic incident 3-1/2 years ago. We were on vacation and he was eating a grape while I was changing his diaper (try not to dwell on that image too much). I didn't realize there were seeds in the grapes. Well, when he got to the seeds he started choking on them which was made worse because he was lying on his back. I couldn't get it out in time and he threw up in his mouth. He's been traumatized ever since. Well, I think Jenna must be a good example (she eats a TON of grapes) because today I finally convinced him to try a grape. I think he may have seen Jenna eating them for so long and realized that if she isn't choking they must be ok. Well, that and I told him that they taste sweet like candy and bribed him by telling him that if he ate a grape he could have a piece of Halloween candy afterwards. (Hey - don't knock it! I've been trying to get him to try a grape for the last 3-1/2 years.) So, Trevor cut one in half to show him it didn't have any seeds, Ian took a small bite, smiled and said "mmm... I like it!" and then proceeded to eat the rest of the grape. I asked him if he wants me to pack them in his lunch and he nodded his head vigorously with a big grin on his face. So, here I am, officially marking it on the calendar. Today is the day that my son finally decided to eat a grape. Stranger things have happened. Maybe the next step is salad. A mother can hope!

No comments: