Every October I continue a food tradition from my childhood. Apple cider and donuts. Not just any donuts though. They have to be the cheap-o variety box donuts - usually a combination of plain, powdered and chocolate and/or cinnamon. You also must heat the donut up in the microwave for about 10 seconds. The flavors transport me back to my childhood. I remember my dad bringing home a box of donuts and a jug of cider every year around Halloween time. It was a special treat because we didn't have stuff like that very often.
Yesterday we went to the farmer's market that is within walking distance. While we were there we bought a gallon of fresh cider (among other things that I will post about later). Later that afternoon while I was in Target I made sure I picked up some donuts. Trevor chuckled when I came home. When I showed him the donuts he said "of course..." It's not his childhood tradition, but I think he appreciates it anyway.
So... what kind of foods/tastes take you back to your childhood? I also have some bad ones - like tofu and puffball pizza. :oP
3 comments:
Yummy! Have you ever tasted apple cider donuts? They are spectacular! My favorite childhood taste is PB&J. I have probably eaten hundreds, if not many hundreds, of them in my lifetime! And look, I actually posted a reply on a blog!
I love those doughnuts...
I was all set to make pumpkin pie bars this weekend and then the weather turned....it will have to wait until the air is crispy again...
One of my favorite childhood foods was tuna noodle casserole. (OK, I know it doesn't compare with donuts!) We only got it when we were going to have a babysitter, because my dad didn't like it. So we came to associate it with a fun night, and staying up a little later than usual.
Post a Comment