Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Home Sweet Home

We spent our first night in the new house on Saturday. I slept rather fitfully through the night - waking up to the new sounds and new smells. This place still has that "new house smell". I've heard of new car smell - even if I've never experienced it myself. I never thought about the fact that a brand new house would have a new house smell. It smells mostly like fresh paint and caulk and such. But, the appliances even have a smell - a squeaky clean, never been used smell. Well... we'll fix that!

On Monday we went back to the condo to scrub it from top to bottom. I have never worked so hard or so fast in my life. We had a deadline. We had to turn over the keys to our landlords at 6pm. It was foolish to try to do it all in one day with a baby in tow. Thankfully she napped well in her play pen in her old "room" (the closet). But, still! My scrubbing arm is still sore and numb from scouring sinks and toilets and floors oh my! At least that's all behind us now.

Today was spent trying to put stuff away in the kitchen. That's always a tough job - trying to figure out what goes where. Thankfully, we have more cupboard space then we need so it wasn't hard at all finding places for stuff.

Ian also rode the bus for the first time today. He was very excited! His bus stop is very close to our place. We don't have to walk very far at all. His stop is the last one off the bus and the first ones off. We live very close to the school and I'm glad that he doesn't have to spend a terribly long time on the bus.

He made a new friend at the bus stop. His name is Josh and he's 6 years old. Hopefully, that's the start of a good friendship in the neighborhood. There doesn't seem to be many kids in our development. Mostly DINKs (double income no kids).

Overall, we're settling in - slowly but surely. We got our internet connection and phone hooked up today and we're getting mail at our new address. The one thing that's bugging me right now are all of the little odds and ends that need to find a place. They seem to be taking over the house!

It feels great to be first time homeowners! There's security in knowing that this place is ours and we don't have to wonder if our landlords are going to end our lease for a variety of reasons. We also don't have to worry about whether or not we're going to get a security deposit back because of every little ding or scratch. It's good to be home!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey congrats. Can't wait to see what the place looks like. I saw the pic of the purple kitchen and powder bathroom and remembered that purple was your favorite color :). I really like this blogging business. Makes it easier to catch up in some ways and I feel like I'm getting to know you better.