Monday, August 11, 2008

The Tale of Two Bikes

Last night as I was combing Craig's List for a bike for Ian, Trevor suggested that I put out a "Wanted" email on freecycle. So, I did. Mostly to humor him because I figured it was a long shot. I've posted a lot of "Offers" on freecycle and only a few "Wanteds". I've never gotten any responses for a "Wanted". Well, much to my surprise and delight we got a response. Not only did she have a bike for us, she had two bikes for us to choose from. So, this morning, while my friend Debby was babysitting, I went out to take a look at the bikes. It looked like the smaller bike would fit him and it already had training wheels attached so I brought that one home. He was thrilled with it! Although, I could tell right away that it was too small. See figure A below.


He looked like a clown trying to ride a teeny tiny bike. His legs barely extended as he peddaled. So, I decided that we would all go back out tonight to get the second bike. As soon as he got on it I knew that it would fit him much better. It's a little bit bigger then what he needs and the seat is all the way down so he definitely has room to grow. Plus, it looks like it's practically brand new. So, we used part of the money that Ian made from selling his train tracks to buy training wheels and an air pump at Target. Unfortunately, it was getting pretty dark by the time Trevor got the training wheels on and the tires pumped up. So, Ian had to be satisfied with looking at it on the porch. Here's a picture of the two of them working on the bike. I love to watch Ian working side by side with his daddy.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Ahh...the freedom of a bike! Ana still loves the one y'all got for her last year. Jim takes both kids out every day while I'm at work. We are learning the joys of family bike rides. Enjoy!!