Thursday, July 3, 2008

Love Language

Ok, so I've been cursed! I'm 99.9% sure that my son's love language is touch. (Never heard of the love languages? Go here to see what I'm talking about.) So, anyway... back to the curse. As most of you know touch is definitely not high on my "things to do" list. I don't even think it's on the list. Not only is it not on the list, I'm generally repulsed when someone that I barely know wants to hug me. That's why I try to stare at the floor when it's time for the "kiss of peace" at the Orthodox church. (It's kind of like the European cheek kissing thing except they do it 3 times). Trevor knows when that time comes in the service that he needs to kiss me and take a really long time about it so that others won't try to.

Anyway... I digress. So, my son has this insane desire to constantly be touching me. He's my child. I carried him in my bosom. I nursed him for 12 months. I don't mind touching the kid, it's just the 24/7 touching that is driving me absolutely bonkers. Now that I'm spending more time on the floor playing with Jenna I'm noticing it more. As soon as he sees me he has to run over and sit on me or hug me or some such thing. In the morning and after his nap he always wants to snuggle. Which is fine unless I have other pressing things to attend to. The other day I asked him to snuggle with daddy since I was busy. His response? "Noooo.... I love you." My reply? "And you don't love daddy?" "Yes, I love daddy, but you're squishy and he's hard. I want to snuggle with YOU!" You're kidding me right? Is that supposed to be some sort of compliment? The kicker is that Trevor's love language is most certainly touch as well. So the two of them should have some sort of touch fest and leave me out of it! Thankfully, Trevor doesn't seem to mind it when he's on the floor and Ian is climbing all over him.

I know, I know, I know... The day is coming when he won't want to be anywhere near me. He'll go off to school and grow up and he wouldn't be caught dead shaking his mom's hand let alone snuggling with me. I should enjoy it while it lasts. Someday I'll look back on this post and have a good chuckle. But, man oh man am I ever touched out right now!

1 comment:

Amber Mc said...

Gosh, I so understand. Let's go out for dinner and not touch each other the whole time. Sound good? :)