Monday, June 23, 2008

The Oscar John Didn't Get


Last night we finally watched Grace is Gone with John Cusack. We've had the movie for a few weeks, but it's one of those "hard to watch" movies so it continued to sit. And let me tell you... it was definitely hard. to. watch! I think I was either on the verge of tears or in tears the entire hour and a half - thankfully it wasn't longer or I wouldn't have any tears left.

Most of you know that John Cusack is my absolute favorite actor - has been for a very long time. I've watched almost everything that he's been in (I still can't bring myself to watch 1408) and will admit that some of it was horrible. (Must Love Dogs and Con Air come to mind even though there's a lot of disagreement about that last one.) Some of his movies are downright awesome (Say Anything and Grosse Point Blank are two of my favorites.) He's also done some very edgy movies that are more on the artsy side. (Max and Being John Malkovich) He's incredibly versatile and has been often quoted that he tends to do the commercial stuff so that he can freely make movies like Max that are so controversial.

I will say this. Up until last night I never really felt like John has had a role that is Oscar worthy. As much as I love him and his talent I cannot say that I've seen him play a part that deserved one. But, holy schmoly I have no idea why he didn't at least get nominated for his part as Stanley. Throughout most of the movie I didn't even recognize him as John Cusack, but saw this completely different person. That's good acting if you ask me.

I have my theories for why this movie didn't get more recognition. The plot revolves around the Iraq war and is so subtle that it really doesn't take sides. Even though I know that John is extremely liberal and is totally against the war you don't see that come through in his acting. As much as Hollywood would like to say that it's progressive and forward thinking they really aren't willing to take a risk when it involves current politics. Take John's current movie War, Inc. for example. He had to finance the thing pretty much on his own because no one in Hollywood wanted to come near it with a ten foot pole. War, Inc. (from what I understand) is about the current situation in Iraq where we have privatized companies that are using non-military contractors to fight in the war. It deals with all of the ethical issues that this type of thing is causing. Of course, he decided to make it a satire and doesn't use names like Iraq and Haliburton, but it's pretty obvious what it's referring to. This movie came out a few weeks ago and has gotten very little press and very little air time. Some day I believe that we will look back on both War, Inc. and Grace is Gone as movies that were extremely insightful and reflective of our times. For now though they are being completely ignored.

Check out Grace is Gone. I can't speak for War, Inc. yet because I still need to see it, but Grace is well worth the time and emotional energy that you will invest.

1 comment:

Amber Mc said...

Adding it to my Netflix queue.