Saturday, May 31, 2008

We're Outta Here!

I am so ready for this vacation! Just a couple more hours and we're heading out. We can't check in until 5pm so we figured we would have Jenna take her morning nap here, feed her lunch and then we'll leave, probably around 11:30am or so. If we get there early we can use the amenities so I packed our pool bag and we'll let Ian go swimming or we may just stop at the grocery store and get some stuff for the week. We'll have a partial kitchen with a grill outside so we'll probably eat 2 meals a day there.

We've had nothing but headaches the last 2 weeks as we've been dealing with our car insurance company - which is why I'm more then ready for this vacation. My first piece of advice - don't get in an accident with an uninsured driver. Easier said then done, I know! Two days after the accident I got the car inspected by our insurance company so that they could assess the damages. They told me it would be 2 days and they would contact me to let me know when it's ok to take the car in to get it fixed. Since the guy that hit me was uninsured they told me that they needed to get the police report and confirm that he is definitely uninsured. So I called them 2 days later to get an update. They said the police report wasn't in yet so I needed to wait. We really wanted to get the car fixed before we went on vacation. The trunk is smashed in and we can't open it at all. We kind of need the trunk if we're going away for a week. So, I called every business day until this Wednesday (5 times altogether) and they kept giving me the same answer. Finally, on Wednesday the girl said that they don't need the police report for me to proceed and told me to go ahead and take it in. So, I immediately started making arrangements by calling the rental company first. After I got off the phone with them the girl at the insurance company called back and said "it turns out that the reason you can't take it in yet is because we still haven't confirmed that he's uninsured". After hanging up and thinking about it and talking to Trevor I realized it probably shouldn't be taking this long to confirm he's uninsured. So I called back and asked what the problem was. This guy did a little research and found out that they never "tagged" my claim in the system so they never called the driver's old insurance company to start the confirmation process that he's uninsured! I was livid! So, he had his supervisor start the process and call me back. Trevor called our agent later on Thursday and he was able to move our claim to a more sophisticated division of their customer service center and we've finally made some progress over the last two days! So, my 2nd piece of advice is - if you're having legitimate problems with customer service call your agent. Now that we're dealing with this one woman in particular I've been thrilled with the service that they're giving us. But, when we had to call in and talk to the general customer service pool it was a nightmare!

So, Trevor is dropping the car off at the body shop and picking up our rental as I type this. I really hope that they can get it repaired while we're gone and that we don't run into any more hassles with the insurance!

I hope everyone has a lovely week. I know my plans are pretty straightforward - sit in the jacuzzi, watch cable TV, go to the pool, do some shopping and RELAX!

No comments: