Thursday, April 17, 2008

Allergies

Around this time every year I'm always slightly taken aback when I realize I've developed some mild seasonal allergies. I go outside or have the windows open and after a short time my eyes, throat and nose start to get itchy and a lovely collection of phlegm develops in my throat. I've noticed it more since we moved to this place in Columbia. We do have quite a few flowering trees in the condo complex with several surrounding our building. I've heard a lot of people say that if you don't have seasonal allergies before you move to Maryland you'll get them eventually. I guess that's the payoff for having such gorgeous flowering trees - you just can't escape that nasty pollen. I'm not sure if it's technically an allergy or just an irritant. There's so much pollen in the air that it just makes its way into your facial orifices and irritates the snot out of them (literally).

I've always felt horrible for my friends with severe seasonal allergies. Spring has always been my favorite time of the year, but for them it just signals another round of illness. I can imagine it would be very difficult to enjoy all that Spring has to offer if you're constantly wiping your nose, coughing or putting drops in your eyes. I guess the alternative is to be drugged up with Benadryl or a prescription drug, but "medicine head" can't be fun either! My thoughts and prayers are with you - my allergic friends! May the pollen recede rapidly and your heads clear promptly!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I suffer from allergies, as does just about everyone in my family. One thing that really helps is NeilMed Sinus Rinse. It sounds really gross, but you actually rinse out your sinuses. I do it every day, but during allergy season I end up using it twice a day and find that I don't need medication any more. Which is great!