Saturday, January 5, 2008

House

We spent the morning running errands. After finishing up at Costco I asked Trevor if we could swing over to our future housing development. I wanted to ask them if they have a new target date for when our building will be complete. Well, I'm glad we did! They told us the new date is around June or July (instead of April like they had been saying.) I had a strong suspicion that they weren't going to finish anywhere near April. I'll be surprised if they get it done by July. Right now the biggest factor is that they need to sell 75% of the units in the building before they start building it. The building ahead of us still isn't to that point yet - they need to sell 2 more units in that building and then 5 more in ours. I'm torn about how to feel about the delay. On one hand I'm glad that we have more time to save money and get organized. I'm also thankful for the delay because Trevor has been applying for some federal jobs in Buffalo and the government is known to go very slowly in their hiring process. If something opens up in Buffalo we could get twice the house for half the price there. So, this gives us more time to explore that option.

My main concern with the delay is over kindergarten for Ian. I really don't want to start him off in Kindergarten in one school and then have to switch him to another school later on. The sales person told me today that as long as the completion date is estimated for 60 days from the start of the school year they can write a letter to the school system for us and he could start school in Elkridge. That's a relief. That means even if the date gets pushed back into the end of October he could still start out at the right school. Hopefully, it won't go much past that!

I'm also not thrilled with the fact that it will be that much longer before Jenna gets her own room. Lately we've been playing "musical sleeping location" with her playpen. It was getting to be too much having her in our room. I think we were all having a hard time sleeping. She would hear us and wake up and I would hear her and wake up. For a couple of nights we put her in the living room, but then she got sick and the weather turned colder. The living room gets really cold at night. So, we moved her into our closet. (That sounds horrible, but if you've ever seen our closet you'll know we're not horrendous parents!) That seems to be working out well. It's nice and toasty warm in there and there's a door separating us so I can hear her if she absolutely needs me, but she can't really hear us. I fully intend on putting her in the crib in Ian's room, I just want to make sure that she's sleeping better first. Right now she's been getting up between 4-5am to eat and there's no way I want him getting up that early! Unfortunately, once he's awake in the morning he's up for the day! Once she's sleeping until at least 6:30 on a consistent basis I'll put her in with Ian. Like Trevor said - I just need to get my head around the fact that right now we only have 2 bedrooms and do the best we can with that. Before I got pregnant with Jenna I kept telling myself that if people in 3rd world countries can have 10 people living in a space the size of our living room we can surely have 2 kids in a 2 bedroom condo. I need to stop coveting a 3rd bedroom!

No comments: