Sunday, December 30, 2007

Birthday Cake

Today is Trevor's 32nd birthday. We were going to have some of Trevor's friends (who are also his godparents) over to celebrate, but Ian has been sick the last couple of days and I started coming down with it last night. We didn't want to spread the love to them so we're going to reschedule. Trevor requested a Boston Cream cake like the ones that we frequently get from BJs or Safeway. I wanted to save a few bucks so I figured I could make one myself. I made two 9" cakes from a yellow cake mix, bought some french vanilla instant pudding and frosted it with canned frosting. It wasn't very pretty and nowhere near as good as the store bought stuff. Like Trevor said it's probably because they use real custard and not just pudding. (I would've made real custard, but I didn't have any corn starch.) Anyway... when I cut the cake I asked Ian if he wanted any and he replied "no, thanks". I then asked him if he wanted any ice cream - "nope." My kid's a freak! He's never really liked sweets all that much. What kid doesn't like cake and ice cream?! MY kid, that's who! I'm not sure where he got those genes.

PS - I just read this to Ian and when I got to the part about genes he stuck out his butt, put his hand on his hip and said "these jeans, where did we get these jeans."

No comments: