I have my first official case of strep throat. I started to get a sore throat Saturday night and it still wasn't gone this morning so I called the doctor to schedule an appointment for this afternoon. The pain is confined to one side of my throat and it looked like I had a white patch. I wasn't having any other cold or flu symptoms so I had a suspicion that it was strep. Sure enough - he looked at it and said it looks like strep. He didn't bother doing a test on it because then the results wouldn't come back for 2 days (Christmas day) and he wanted me to start antibiotics right away. No point in waiting I guess.
Here's the thing - I usually get really irritated with doctors that just automatically use antibiotics as a cure all. Antibiotics have been so overused in the past that they are starting to lose their effectiveness. Apparently, when it came down to my situation I was willing to go on the antibiotics even without the confirmed test. I've read all kinds of horrible things about strep and what can happen if it's untreated. I seem to have a very mild case - no fever, no vomiting etc... I do have an earache, general malaise and headaches along with the sore throat. The other reason I was so quick to go on the antibiotics is because mom and dad are arriving tomorrow afternoon - Christmas is coming! I really want to knock this thing out before the celebration begins!
Yeah, and here's the other thing - this illness has really thrown my last minute Christmas preparations for a loop. Before company arrives I usually like to have the house pretty spotless. Well, as spotless as it can be with 2 small children running around. I haven't done much cleaning (thank you, Trevor for vacuuming today). I also still need to go to the grocery store for the final ingredients for our Christmas brunch, I need to bake my traditional eggnog bread and finish wrapping gifts. Oh, well. I guess if it all doesn't get done we'll survive! Or maybe I'll just have to enlist more help from Trevor and my parents after they arrive.
Your prayers for a speedy recovery are appreciated! Also, please pray that the rest of my family doesn't contract this icky infection.
2 comments:
What a yucky time to be sick! I hope the antibiotics work quickly for you and that no one else gets it. I'm glad your parents are still coming down though.
I'm so sorry you've gotten sick, but I'm glad your symptoms aren't too bad. The few times I've had strep as an adult were pretty miserable. Luckily, the antibiotic usually gets in and does its work quickly.
Post a Comment