Saturday, October 4, 2008

Pirates and Angels

Pirates by day...



Angels at night (well, technically naptime)...


Ok, so truth be told - the reason I did this post was because of this last picture of Ian sleeping. (If you click on the picture you can see an enlarged version.) This afternoon I went in to wake him up around 4:15pm because I promised him we would go to the library today and since the library closed t 6:00 we needed to get crackin'. I was shocked and amused when I walked in and found him like this. His mouth slightly open hands folded on his chest and knees up in the air. First of all, why was in this position in the first place and how did he fall asleep like that? I'm guessing he was probably either talking or singing to himself when he fell asleep. He likes to do that. Second of all (is that even a phrase), I'm not sure if he looks like a good little school boy or if he's lying in a coffin. Granted his knees wouldn't be in the air if he were lying in a coffin so I guess he's merely portraying how he acts in school. (From what I hear from the teacher he's extremely well behaved in school - unlike home.) I quickly told Trevor to grab the camera and come take a look. He stayed asleep the few minutes it took to take the picture. The flash briefly woke him up. He opened his eyes and I said "hey". He said "hey" back, unfolded his hands, turned his head to the side and fell back asleep. I couldn't bear to wake him again so I let him sleep. I guess we'll go to the library tomorrow.

So, I'm sure this raises the question in many of your minds -- "Ian still takes a nap??!" Why yes he does, thank you very much. On the days that he isn't in school we still enforce naptime. I figure as adults we still like to take naps and with all of the busyness of school and being in a new house we figure it can't hurt. Some days he may just lay in there and talk or sing the whole time, but most days he will actually fall asleep. I know... I'm blessed. Most of my friends kids stopped taking naps when they were 2 or 3 years old. Ian took a daily nap until the day he went to school. He seems to do fine on the days he doesn't nap and I'm hoping that the extra rest on the weekends helps during the week.

We will most likely always enforce a Sunday afternoon nap/rest time - even when the kids are older. Sundays in my childhood home were pretty laid back (unless the Bills were playing). Most Sundays I took a nap even when I was a teenager and I've continued that into my college and married life. It has helped me view Sunday as a day of rest. I hope I'm able to keep that day sacred as the kids get older. I know it will get harder as they get involved in extra curricular activities, but it's my desire to pass this ideal along to my children.

No comments: