Saturday, May 17, 2008

Hit and Run

Ever been involved in a hit and run accident? No? Well, me neither, until today that is. I was heading to BJ's to buy our digital TV converter box when I was suddenly rear-ended while waiting for the light to change (there were a few cars ahead of me). I pulled over to the side of the road with my hazard lights on thinking that the guy would pull in behind me so we could exchange insurance info. No such luck! He blew right past me! Thankfully I had the wherewithal to memorize his license plate number as well as the color and basic type of vehicle (blue pick up with a cap on the back). I kept repeating the license plate number over and over again until I could call Trevor and have him write it down. Then I called 911 to report the accident. By the time the police officer got to me (only 15-20 minutes later) they caught the guy! Yay police officer guy!! Apparently, they ran his plates, got his home address and then hung out near his house. He headed right for home after the accident. The police officer that booked him said that the guy tried to lie to him initially, but the officer didn't fall for it as he obviously had recent damage to his front end. Duh! Cops are smarter (and more experienced) then most people give them credit for. Anyway... the guy didn't have insurance - his obvious reason for running. I guess he was hoping that I wouldn't catch his license plate number. Hoping that I would be too frazzled or something.

So, now we have to get the mess taken care of. Thankfully it doesn't appear to be damaged too badly. Unfortunately, this is the 3rd time I've been rear-ended and I've learned from past experience that just because it doesn't look like there's much damage that doesn't mean that there isn't significant damage. In both previous cases the car ended up being totaled. This car is worth so much more to us running then it is totaled - obviously. We paid cash for it several years ago. If we have to go out and get a new car that means we'll have to start making car payments again or take out a significant chunk from our savings (which was supposed to be going towards a down payment on a house). Argh! I guess I don't need to be worrying about that just yet. We need to get an appointment on Monday to get the damage assessed first - I'll let each day worry about itself.

I did find out that I'll need to go to court sometime soon. The officer said that I need to save my receipts for any out of pocket expenses (including the $250 deductible since the guy is uninsured) and anything else that comes up. I'm glad to hear that because I figured we would be out the $250 for something that wasn't my fault at all.

I would appreciate your prayers! I'm incredibly grateful that the guy was caught so quickly, I just pray that the rest of the process goes as smoothly. I'm a bit frazzled right now (as is typical after any accident) so I'm praying for God's peace today.

No comments: